Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A plea from a working mom

Dear Mr. President,

I am a part-time working mom. When my twins were born 9 months ago, I went from working full-time to part-time. My husband is self-employed and I carry the insurance benefits through my employer. I figured out if I work 8 hrs and 23 minutes, it rounds up to 8 hrs and 30 minutes. That is the exact time I need to work to maintain my health insurance benefits. If I work 8 hrs and 22 minutes, it rounds my time down to 8 hrs and 15 minutes and then I could be in trouble with my benefits eligibility. Every day when I arrive, I add 8 hrs and 23 minutes to my clock in time. I have also educated my coworkers to the same philosophy and way to "beat the clock". I know it is only 7 minutes difference, but it just more time away from my family. I really miss my children when I'm at work and I've often thought of ways I can cut back my work hours or quit all together.

My husband and I decided it was time for me to cut back my working hours and be home with my children more. This meant we needed individual health insurance. I called an insurance broker and was taken back by the cost and limitations of individual health insurance. The monthly premium for our family of 4 is around $400 and this is for a high deductible plan. The maternity deductible is $7,500, a separate and additional amount to the medical deductible! I asked the insurance broker if I created a group of other self-employed families, if we would be eligible for a group insurance plan. She politely told me, "No, the insurance is linked to your employer. You have to be an employee of an organization to be eligible for group health insurance." I couldn't believe it! What about following the American Dream? Creating your own path and success in life? I guess if you want to pursue the American Dream in the year 2010, you have to do it without health insurance.

Needless to say, I am still working 8 hrs and 23 minutes a day so we can maintain our health insurance benefits. Please Mr. President, consider divorcing health insurance benefits from employment status. (Afterall, car insurance is not linked to your employment...and it seems to work out just fine).

Thank you,
KGR

No comments:

Post a Comment